Do you know how to get a SIM card at Austria Airports to stay connected while traveling in Austria? Read the following guides here for your information. So that you will have an easy trip in Austria and be always connected to the Internet.
I. Austria Airport Map
There are many international and local airports in Austria. In which, there are 5 airports that handle the majority of passenger traffic in Austria. Those airports offer connections to many destinations across the EU and beyond. They are all served by major airlines like Austrian Airlines, Eurowings, Lufthansa, and Ryanair.
Here are name and IATA / ICAO code of these 5 major Austria’s airports for your reference:
|Vienna International Airport
|Salzburg Airport W. A. Mozart
|Klagenfurt am Wörthersee
II. List of Austria Border Gates
Besides going to Austria by airplanes, you can also reach Austria by land at some border gates if you have an EU tour to other countries. Here are list of some major border gates that you may arrive at:
- Salzburg Wals-Siezenheim (BRD/A): This is the border between Germany and Austria, opening 24/7 for cars and light vehicles
- Suben (BRD/A): This is another border with Germany, located in Upper Austria. It also opens 24/7 for cars and light vehicles
- Bregenz (CHE/A): This border links Austria with Switzerland, opening 24/7 for cars and light vehicles
- Spielfeld (SVN/A): This border links Austria with Slovenia, also opening 24/7 for cars and light vehicles
- Nickelsdorf (SVK/A): This is the border between Austria and Slovakia, opening 24/7 for cars and light vehicles
Important notes: Opening hours are subjected to change depending on day of week, public holidays or seasonal changes. Check carefully before your trip.
III. How to Get a SIM Card at Austria Airports
After reaching Austria Airports, especially at Vienna International Airports, do you know how to get a SIM card at Vienna airport (VIE)?
If you have not purchased a SIM card yet, you can follow below steps to get a local SIM and stay connected to the Internet:
- Choose mobile carrier: there are 3 major mobile carriers in Austria, including A1 Telekom – the largest mobile provider, Magenta and Drei. Every provider will have different plans and prices, you may choose depending on your demand and length of stay
- Decide where to buy: you can buy directly at mobile carriers kiosks or ending machines or other shops and kiosks. But mobile carriers always have more choice and better price than other places
- Buy a SIM: after making a decision, you can buy your SIM with a suitable plan for your trip. Remember to give their staff your passport for registration. They also help you install SIM to your phone if needed
- Top-up: most prepaid SIM cards require top-up load to add data, calls or SMS. You can do it where you buy or look for top-up machines
- Enjoy the Internet and make phone calls during your trip
For other international airports, the process will still be the same. However, the number of stores or English support may be limited.
IV. Should I Buy a SIM Card at Austria Airports?
Buying a SIM card at Austria Airports is a traditional way to get connected to the Internet. And also, if you want to make a phone call or send a message, it will help a lot. However, it seems to be old-fashioned and sometimes it is inconvenient.
To help you have a deep insight about it, let’s look at the table of advantages and disadvantages of Austria Airport SIM cards below:
|Easy to buy at the airportHave many plans and options to choose depending on the purpose and length of stay Have an affordable price
|May lost current physical SIM card when inserting new one Need to wait to buy a new SIM card at the airportCan have only 1 SIM at a time if your phone have only 1 SIM slot
Although SIM cards have some advantages, they still have disadvantages besides. It may cost you time to wait to buy, register and activate at the airport. Instead, you can have another alternative for more convenience.
Alternative Options to Austria Airport SIM cards
You can choose some other alternatives. Carefully consider their pros and cons before making decision:
|Easy to buy and activate within minutes Connectable right after you arrive in AustriaPlenty of plans and options for you to choose Affordable price
|Only apply for compatible phone models Apply for unlocked phones
|Free to connect whenever it is available
|Limited to areas and places High chance of data loss Unsecure
|Usable to other electronic devices Easy to use: just turn it on and broadcast the Internet
|Cost a lot of money to buy or rent Always bring it along
► Our recommendation: With those comparisons, the best way to be connected while traveling in Austria is a prepaid eSIM or a SIM card at Vienna Airport (VIE). However, if you are using modern mobile phones, eSIM is more competitive and convenient for your trip.
V. Austria eSIM – Alternative To Getting SIM card at Austria Airports
If you purchase an eSIM before your trip, you will be connected right after arriving at the airport. So that, you will never miss any updates from your family, friends or work. Just within minutes to buy and activate, it helps you save your valuable time.
If you are considering using eSIM, Gigago eSIM is one of the best providers at the moment. It has the most plans among other providers, so that you can easily choose a suitable plan depending on your purpose and length of stay.
For Austria, Gigago offers multiple data plan options, starting from 1 GB for 3 days with $3.50 . What is great about Gigago’s Austria eSIM is that its plans’ costs are diversifying, vary between $3.50 – $125.98 . Thus, it does not matter how Internet users you are and how long your trip is in Austria, there is always an option for you with Gigago.
What is the payment method used at Vienna Airport to purchase a SIM card?
You can pay by cash, Visa, Mastercard or American Express. Or you can also pay via some mobile payments like Apple pay or Samsung pay if available.
Can I top up my credit?
Yes. You can top up your credit with vouchers purchased at the same locations where you bought the SIM card at Vienna Airport (VIE) or other airports in Austria. Look for top-up machines or ask the staff for help.
How to activate the SIM card?
After purchasing, you insert it into your sim slot then use it. If you do not know what to do, you can ask the staff for help.
Can I keep my current phone number with a prepaid SIM card bought at Vienna airport?
No. If you want to keep your current phone number, you should ask your home mobile provider for international roaming in Austria. Note, it will cost you a lot of money.
When you arrive at Austria’s airport, you can easily purchase a new local SIM card to use while you are traveling there. However, it may take time and lose your current SIM. It is better to get an eSIM than a SIM card at Vienna Airport (VIE). With an active eSIM before, you are always proactive to connect to the world.